Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Yesterday when I opened the bathroom door after my shower.... I found this on my bed. Posted by Hello


We don't go all out for Valentine's Day. We'll usually get a mushy card or some candy, sometimes I get flowers, but that's about it. It's not that we're not romantic or that we don't care. It's quite the opposite, actually. We prefer to celebrate throughout the year...

So last week I checked with hubby to see what our plans were this year...gifts? no gifts? and he said "no gifts." Well no gifts doesn't include chocolate, right? So I bought Josh and Hubby some yummy Rocky Mountain Chocolate when I was out of town over the weekend and I thought I was breaking the "rules."

Imagine my surprise when I opened the bathroom door to find that he had eh hem...made the bed AND placed this cute little surprise on the end facing the door. I was shocked. I think I just stood there laughing at how darn cute they looked for a minute. Finally I walked over and opened the card and hubby came back in the room and said "the dogs aren't the gift...they're holidng the gift." Inside the little heart was a diamond and ruby necklace and a diamond and ruby ring. Ok so we're not talking big rocks here, we affectionately call them diamond chips....but I was overwhelmed.

#1) He completely surprised me and I'm never surprised. I had absolutely no clue.

#2) The ring is very similar to the ring he gave me when he proposed. I lost a stone out of it years ago. I don't think I've worn it since Joshua was born. I guess men's minds don't work the same as women's. Joshua and Rick were both surprised by how much a simple ring meant to me. Maybe it's because to me, it's more than a ring. It's a reminder of the beginning of our life together. It fits perfectly with my wedding band. I keep finding myself looking at it. It catches my eye when I'm typing or putting tax returns together and it reminds me how grateful I am to be married to my best friend....who buys the perfect gift even when he isn't trying.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

That is so very sweet!