Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Reading

As you can see, I'm attempting to bring things up to date with the blog.... I've been a little blog lazy lately.

This month our book club is reading (well actually we're listening to...) The Promise of a Lie by Howard Roughan. I listened to it once and I remember it being very suspenseful. It grabbed my attention and I wanted to see where the story went... but there was a problem with the cd's and the last few tracks of each one were garbled. Being the impatient, I want to know what happens type, I suffered through it. Now I'm kind of left with a sour taste in my mouth so I'm planning to re-listen to it this week (the book hostess gave me a new copy on mp3, so hopefully that will be better.)

I think the book club is now going to create a new rule.

No audio books.

Personally I love audio books and I've never had this problem before, but I've always purchased my own copy. I believe the hostess burned us copies to listen to.... not such a good plan.

I'm also reading Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann. Athena (knitting teacher) recommended it from the knitting class libary. Ok this book is opening up a whole new world to me. You mean there are knitting books that you're supposed to READ? I thought knitting books were just patterns. I'm loving the book. It's a quick easy read and I've learned sooo much.

I tend to knit a bit loosely. I always have to drop a needle size or two to get guage. I envied those nice little perfect stitches that belong to those tight knitters. I thought I was a bad knitter.... well according to Elizabeth Zimmermann, I'm a mighty fine knitter. LOL. If one were to pick a style she said it is much better to knit looser. As far as the uneven stitches? They add character and tend to settle in after a few washings. Her theory is that the remarkable stitching we admire from long ago.... has simply been washed more. I don't know if her theory is accurate or not, but it works for me. I'm choosing to believe.

No comments: