Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I got a Kindle for Christmas.....

If you know me in real life you've probably heard this a few times already.  I'm tired of boring my real life friends, who probably don't care, so I've decided to move on to my cyber friends.  (If your eyes glazed over and you thought... Oh no, she's talking about her Kindle again, you have my permission to stop reading now.)

One of the most common things I've heard when I've mentioned that I got a Kindle for Christmas is
"I thought you already had one."

Truth be told, I've been using the Kindle ap on my phone and my Ipod Touch and I thought that was totally cool, until I unwrapped the lovely Kindle that is now mine... all mine... and all Hello Kitty like too. (Joshua bought be the Kindle.  Breanna bought me the Hello Kitty skin.)




In addition to the new little gadget, hubby bought me an Amazon gift certificate.  Do I really need to tell you how I spent my vacation?  I thought I was being all wife-like by sitting with my husband reading, while he watched the History Channel (ewww...)  Normally I would escape the room as fast as I could or beg to change the channel.  Apparently hubby expects me to sit in the room and watch what he is watching in order for it to be quality time.  So....did I mention that I read a lot on my vacation? hahaha... (I'm sure there are days he wished he hadn't married such an independent woman. LOL)

One of the books I read was:
 The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christan, A Jew -- Three Women Search For Understanding
by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver and Priscilla Warner

It was absolutely fascinating.  It was one of those books that just sticks to your soul.  I think I will be forever changed because of reading it.

The three women develop a wonderful friendship, grow in their own faith and gain a greater understanding of the other faiths as they explore what they have in common and where their faiths differ.

As a Christian, you would think that I would immediately identify with the Christian author, but the truth is, I did not.  Because of the fact that many Christians do not accept that the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are Christian...I found that there were pieces of each story/journey that I identified with.

I hope that you'll add it to your reading list and let me know what you think.

Know any good books I should add to mine?  They don't have to be as thought provoking as The Faith Club.  I read a couple of juicy vampire books during vacation too.

4 comments:

Karen Barber said...

Dawn - This is too funny! I had to laugh because I received a Nook for Christmas and I love it and experienced much the same joy with it as you did with the Kindle! Plus I received 4 Barnes & Noble gift cards so it is just lovely shopping and adding books that are already paid for!! Plus I was able to buy myself a lovely leather cover for it - I'll have to take a picture and post on my blog soon! Happy Reading!

Dawn said...

LOL @ Karen! And that is why we are friends. I would love book suggestions. I will honestly read just about anything.

Sylvia said...

I got a Kindle for Christmas also. I wanted it to have something to do while working out on the treadmill.

There are two sites that I like for choosing books.

1. www.thefrugalreader.com
2. www.freeEbookdeal.com
When you choose a book it links back to Amazon.

Currently I am reading Angel of Death:My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer by Andrea Lyons.

And I am reading First Dawn (Freedom's Path Series #1 by Judith McCoy Miller.

Corina said...

Hooray Dawn!
I'm hoping to be able to own one one day. I'm still using my app on the Iphone. I just wanted to say thanks to Sylvia for sharing those websites,I will check them out too.
Hope to see you soon Dawn!